Leaderboard
728x15

March of the Flamingos

Large Rectangle

Check out these animal world images:


March of the Flamingos
animal world
Image by ukslim
Taken for the March 2006 Monthly Scavenger Hunt: item 7, Pink Flamingos.

Lest you judge that photographing a videogame (Animal Crossing: Wild World on the Nintendo DS) is a copout, this was actually one of the most labour intensive picture setups I've ever done.

Each flamingo costs 1,530 bells (the in-game currency). Bells must be earnt by collecting fruit, fishing, or playing the Stalk Market (don't ask). You can't just go into the in-game shop and buy them, though. You have to order them from the shop catalogue and wait for them to get to you via the in-game postal service. The shopkeeper can't handle lots of orders at once, so you have to order them two at a time. They don't show up in the catalogue until you've seen your first one, which is a randomised thing. I had to visit a friend's village using WiFi linkup, so that he could buy me my first flamingo. Now I need to sell the flamingos back to the shop at a loss, so that I can rearrange my virtual room with more varied decor.

I am 32 years old.


Stitch in Thai courtesy of Thai Cultural Representatives at Disney's Animal Kingdom
animal world
Image by Loren Javier


My cat, the prettiest in the world.
animal world
Image by hannanik

Banner