Leaderboard
728x15

Vodka

Large Rectangle

Some cool names for animals images:


Vodka
names for animals
Image by Elrenia_Greenleaf
We’d seen a poster outside the butchers in Castle Douglas (which, incidentally has the nicest sausages this side of the border so if you’re ever in the area, pay it a visit :D) for an ‘open day’ to raise money for a local donkey sanctuary and it had a photograph of a lovely fuzzy donkey who went by the name of Vodka on it.

It transpired that all three were rescues. Vodka, who had been imported to France from somewhere else, had been rescued from the meat trade, scared and unconfident, with her long shaggy coat all matted and muddy. A bar in Glasgow has sponsored her, I can’t remember the name of it right now, only that it had ‘Vodka’ in the title but I’m sure I’d seen her in an ad campaign once before, so it was extra nice to meet her. She was by far one of the friendliest donkeys I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and was VERY interested in Nigel. Her flag like ears pricked as she sniffed him and she was utterly transfixed.

Then there was Fergus, a tiny little jack who got very jealous when he was ignored for more than a minute. (remind you of anyone?) I can’t remember his history but regardless of what it was, he was adorable, if a little grumpy.

Aimee, I think was the name of the other jenny, a gorgeous little pinto who I only really saw the head and legs of as the rest of her was covered in a rug to help ease her sweet itch. She had been a racing donkey and had competed in several ‘Donkey Derbys’ before coming here. The cobs, who I never ‘met’ were grazing the muddy paddock in the background, blatantly ignoring everyone else

I picked up a leaflet with pictures of all the donkeys at this other sanctuary and their stories. There was also a section with some of the horses that would be going to the slaughterhouse in France shortly with prices and details about them. It was heartbreaking, seeing all these animals with such potential looking at their own demise. There were even two mares and foals, one was in foal at the same time as well. It said that they’d be going to Italy where it is legal to kill pregnant mares for meat.

I can’t even begin to put into words how wrong that is, I just can’t.

If I had the money, god, if only I had money.

Banner